2012 Military Spouse Appreciation Day

In 1984 President Ronald Reagan proclaimed the Friday before Mother’s Day to be Military Spouse Appreciation Day. Decades later, we celebrate that day today, May 11, 2012.


When I think of military spouses there is one vision that often comes to mind. I was volunteering at a USO Care Package Stuffing Party. Toward the end of the day, after all the care packages had been stuffed, a Marine and his young family took to the platform, and he thanked us for our efforts. His wife stood in the background with their two young children and baby. She discreetly kept the children quiet and still as their father spoke. When the Marine finished speaking and stepped off stage, a line immediately formed in front of him–people were eager to thank him for his service.

His wife walked away from the platform with the now wiggly kids to let them burn off some energy and to feed the baby. No one seemed to notice her. I walked over and thanked her for the sacrifices her and her family make for our country. She smiled humbly, thanked me, and went back to mothering.

I wondered why more people didn’t go over to her and share their appreciation, and then I wondered why she didn’t really seem to get acknowledged at all. Then, I questioned myself: if I weren’t a military wife –would I have said anything at all? 
 
In his 2011 Presidential Proclamation, President Barack Obama stated:

Our service members and their families seldom ask for support or recognition.  They carry out their duties to family and country with the quiet courage and strength that has always exemplified the American spirit.  On Military Spouse Appreciation Day, we have an opportunity to not only honor the husbands and wives of our service members, but also thank them by actively expressing our gratitude in both word and deed.

My own husband often noted while on deployment, that what would ease his mind the most was the thought that I was taken care of back home. I think that’s true for a lot of our men and women and uniform. Military Spouse Appreciation Day is an excellent opportunity not only to show our appreciation for the very real sacrifices military families make every day but also to assure or service men and women that we are looking out for their families on the home front. 

Of course, military spouse appreciation doesn’t need to last for just one day. Whether you have a friend, neighbor, or family member that has a husband or wife in the military, you can always extend and show your support. Remember that often military spouses don’t like to ask for help, so take some initiative in offering your support –perhaps even in a subtle, friendly way. Often we could just use a little help with the yard, or the kids, and sometimes we just need an ear or a shoulder. Consider checking out Joining Forces “Taking Action To Service America’s Military Families.”

Last, but not least: Thank you military spouses! Thank you for the countless sacrifices you make each and every day because of the vow you took and the love you have.


Comments

  1. Having been a background girl for a long time, I would have done the same thing you did--gone to the woman behind the scenes. Bless you for doing that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment