Lifting Things Up and Putting Them Down

Now that my husband and I are living together we also get to go to the gym together. This is fantastic for me because my husband is basically now my free personal trainer that puts up with my -er- oddities at the gym (I have a tendency to break into a dance when a song comes on that speaks to my hips...and that would be a lot of songs...).

So after settling into our new home together we started making regular visits to the gym. He convinced me to join him on the Starting Strength program. I was actually pretty nervous about this since I hadn't stepped foot inside a gym since I left a CrossFit box in September for financial reasons...and at that point I still didn't really feel strong. I was still struggling with non-girly push ups! Those used to be my thing! However, Husband convinced me that this program was designed for beginners (hence Starting Strength), and that I had to at least try it.

So in January I started off with a 77lb squat and 45lb bench press for 3 sets of 5 reps. I knew I had room for improvement on my squat, but I was doubtful of my bench press improving. When the bar feels quite heavy that's not really a "strong" feeling. I felt kind of embarrassed in front of Husband (he's pretty dang fit!), but he was nothing but encouraging, and we tried our best to hit the gym 3 times a week.

And guess what -

Last night I benched 77 pounds! That's what I was doing for a squat at the beginning of the year!

On top of that, my push ups are back to non-girly and feel as good as they used to!

I know this doesn't make me strong relative to lots of girls I know, but it makes me strong relative to me, and that's all I really care about. Woo!

Comments