Quarantine Day 2(?) • Happy St. Patrick's Day
![]() |
| I wish I knew who to credit! |
We've technically been self-isolating since last week, but yesterday felt like the first "official" day since it was the first day of no school.
It's strange, living this. I find myself anxious at times, especially when I start thinking about the future. The what if's can be overwhelming, but there are a few things I'm doing to try to keep the stress at bay (as best as I can). These include:
- Watching less of the news and more PBS kids
- Getting outside. I am tending to a vegetable garden, and at times it feels like it's tending to me.
- Praying. Let me know if I can include you in my prayers.
- Focusing on the present. Right now my whole family is healthy and mostly happy (us adults can get grumpy sometimes, but the kids -so far- are a joy).
- Taking it one day at a time. I don't know what the future holds, so all I can do is do my part to make sure it's as good as possible.
- Letting myself laugh. I take this virus very seriously. I have been watching what it does since January. But if there is a funny meme, I'm still laughing. I'm going to take the light where I can get it.
- Checking in with friends & family over the phone. Social distancing is hard, but it's a little easier when we can still stay connected.
I'm trying to keep a loose structure during the day for the kids. The routine I think helps them, but I am not be too strict at the moment. I think we all deserve a little grace right now.
![]() |
| credit: Jessica McHale Photography |
- 9 AM - Outside time. This can mean a walk, helping with the yard, watering the garden, playing with chalk. If it's raining or too mosquito-y cosmic kids yoga will be on the menu.
- 10 AM - Academic time without electronics. This has many options:
- I let my older child play teacher to my younger child. They both love it, and kiddo #2 is much more open to learning from his sister than from his mom.
- Science experiment
- Writing (either something like this: https://www.pbs.org/parents/printables/tell-me-a-story , a letter, or a journal entry)
- 11 AM - Creative time. The kids both love this time, probably because they both love to create. Kiddo #1 has been mostly wanting to do arts & crafts, Kiddo #2 opted for magnatiles yesterday & blocks today.
- 12 PM - Lunch.
- 1 PM - Chore time. Daddy gets to pick this one!
- 2 PM - Quiet time. I allow TV for this time since no one naps on a schedule in the house anymore. But I'm making sure we get in reading here too.
- 3 PM - Academic time with electronics. My daughter's other favorite time. I use the resources provided by her teacher & Osmo as well (a Christmas gift that I now have zero regrets about)
- 4 PM - Free play. They can go outside or play in their play room. It's just time to burn some energy.
- 5 PM - Dinner
- 6 PM - Free time. They can watch TV, play video games, or play on the computer again.
- 7 PM - Bedtime. We start bedtime early here... But it takes a long time with three kids!
How are you doing?




Comments
Post a Comment