One way to make a watermark
Let me greet you with this photo:
Notice anything new? Well, besides the fact that my photography skills are greatly improving...
Look in the top right hand corner. What's that there? Oh, just a watermark. First off, no I did not suddenly grow a big head and decide that my photos were in such grave danger of being stolen that I needed a watermark. That watermark is there for one simple reason: because I can. I learned how to create my own watermark! And I am here to pass on the steps to you.
If you prefer video demonstration here are the YouTube videos that taught me:
How to create a watermark using Paintbrush & Preview
How to add a watermark using Aperture
You can get a 30-day free trial of Aperture on the Apple Website.

Notice anything new? Well, besides the fact that my photography skills are greatly improving...
Look in the top right hand corner. What's that there? Oh, just a watermark. First off, no I did not suddenly grow a big head and decide that my photos were in such grave danger of being stolen that I needed a watermark. That watermark is there for one simple reason: because I can. I learned how to create my own watermark! And I am here to pass on the steps to you.
If you prefer video demonstration here are the YouTube videos that taught me:
- How to Make a Watermark :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc3_gpoVJnw
- How to add a watermark in Aperture 3 :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfVzNbD7bTs
How to create a watermark using Paintbrush & Preview
- Create an image of the text you want in Paintbrush
- I've made a few different sizes for my watermarks. The one seen above is a 640x640 on a large image, the one you'll see at the end is a 640x200 on relatively small image.
![]() |
| Format JPEG | Quality Best |
- Open this file in Preview. Click and hold the Select Button from your toolbar. Choose Instant Alpha
![]() |
| Click & hold to get the menu for the Select button |
- Click and drag until you are happy with the characters left
![]() |
| Still have a few more spots to get rid of here |
- Once you have it where you want it - File > Save. I believe it will save it as a PNG image --and you have your watermark!
How to add a watermark using Aperture
You can get a 30-day free trial of Aperture on the Apple Website.
- Go to Aperture > Presets > Image Export
- Choose from the Presets available or create your own.
- Check Show Watermark
- Select Choose Image and find the watermark you want to use.
- Select Scale Watermark
- Choose position & opacity to taste & click OK
- Find the image you want to export and right click
- Click Export > Version
- Make sure the Export Preset is set to the one you want (and have set the watermark for)
- Make sure everything else is set as you want it & click Export Versions
- You'll find your photo with the watermark wherever you chose to export to
![]() |
| Probably could have upped the opacity on this one. |






Comments
Post a Comment