Morning ruminations

Winter is the perfect time to stay in bed. If I had to pick three objects to describe winter they would be bed, mug, and slippers. Why yes, I loved Sesame Street as a child.

Now clearly I don't usually combine all three, but the whole point here is that the winter is the perfect time to stay in bed. You wake up in the little cocoon you've made from the blankets and stick a shoulder out --burr! Quick, stick it back under the covers! Mmmm the covers. Mmmm bed. It's just so comfy. The sheets are so soft warm and soft -they make a very strong case for going back to sleep. Oh that annoying alarm clock... Oh, that wonderful Snooze button. What a wonderful, alluring name "Snooze." Whoever invented Snooze must be a wonderful, kind, friendly person. The kind of person that said, "Oh, you must be sleepy, here you go, have another 10 minutes of sleep."  Snooze-person, I like you.

Okay, so usually I don't think about the Snooze inventor. Usually I stop at "Oh, that wonderful Snooze button." I waste no time getting that poor arm that had to reach out to hit the button back under the covers, nesting myself back into my cocoon, and swiftly passing out again.  Which brings me -awake me- to the question: Why is the sweet spot so much easier to find in the mornings than at night? Sure, it might be because we've already been in it so it's easier to get back to. But in the [winter] mornings I don't even have to find it a little bit. I just have to be tightly wrapped. I don't think about where to put my legs or arms or which side to face my head. It just doesn't matter. All that matters is maxing out on those 10 minutes of sleep. Mmm...sleep.

Comments