I think Burlesque is awesome

So, unexpectedly, July has turned into a try-something-new month. Every weekend I have tried something new! One of my favorite new things is burlesque dancing.

What initially peaked my interest in Burlesque was MGM's Grand's Crazy Horse Paris in Las Vegas. Then, after watching Burlesque with Christina Aguilera and Cher, I was completely inspired. A few weeks, a few glasses of wine, a bit of YouTube, and Googling later, I was signed up for my first burlesque class...

Fortunately, two girls I told about it were also interested in burlesque and decided to sign up too. A few days later, on a perfectly sunny-made-for-the-beach day, we went together to class. The "classroom" was dimly lit, with a large mirror framed by velvety curtains at the front. We were given garters (actually children's sequined, elasticy headbands) and stools awaited us on the wood floor.

Giggling, we somewhat shyly, girlishly moved toward our stools. Then, the music was on and the teacher was working us through our rather sensual warm up. Like a switch was flipped, we were vixens. We smoothly moved into learning a real routine. We were sexy and smokin' as we danced, learning a little bit of the routine at a time. We showed off our legs, crawled on the floor, teasingly moved our butt, and gave the most enticing of looks.  Yet, as soon as we wrapped up a new part of the dance, we were giggling at ourselves. It was so much fun. Within in an hour we had learned 2 routines and were feeling pretty hot (actually, we did break a sweat, hah!).

I think Burlesque is awesome. We joked that we only had our pets to go home and share our newly acquired skills with. Really, though, the class made us all feel very sexy. We didn't need a man to show it off to, it boosted our self-esteems all on it's own --and let's face it, confidence is sexy!

Comments